Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Proverbs 31:10

Proverbs 31:10 - "A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies." 

I've highlighted verse 10 specifically because my husband left a note on that one saying: "You are my wife of noble character. I will lead you, but please support me in all our trials."  

It feels good to know that he believes me to be of noble character. When I think of those words together, I imagine people like Esther or Ruth... even Abraham Lincoln. I do not consider myself to be eligible to be in the same category as any of the above at first glance, but as I'm writing I'm brought back to the beginning of my dating relationship with Stephen.

Before we started dating, I told Stephen he needed to prove to me that he was a man of God. I told him I wanted to find my husband in my next boyfriend and if he couldn't show me he was able to lead me, we wouldn't be dating. I mostly told him that because I was scared of how handsome he was and half hoped he wouldn't rise to the challenge. But he didn't run away; he simply ran way past any of my expectations of what a husband should be! 


Even today, he reminds me about how I helped him turn his life around and bring him back to God. I don't say that to pat myself on the back. I say that as a reminder for myself that although I am blind to my noble characteristics, he is not. He sees them and nourishes them. I've always had strong convictions about things, even if some of my intentions are hidden by fear. Stephen can see past my fear and pushes me to continue to seek God's will for my life and stand firm in what I believe. (*insert verse 11 - "Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.")


Verse 12 says, "She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life." It feels like Stephen was speaking to this verse when he left me that note in my Bible. Like he knew our marriage would have some difficult days and just as I asked him to lead me years ago, he's asking me to follow for years to come. It's amazing how beautifully God can bring things together like that. 

As far as the the rest of Proverbs 31 goes...
I don't bring in "food from afar" (v.14), but sometimes I do go to HEB by myself.
I do "set about my work vigorously" and if you tried picking up my work/school bag, you'd see that my "arms are strong for my tasks" (v.17).
I don't make "coverings for our bed" (v.22), but I do try to at least arrange the comforter to look semi-made in the mornings. 

I don't make "linen garmets" (v.24), but I'm really good at taking my husband's work clothes to the dry cleaner when needed, i.e. "supplying the merchants with sashes."

I hope to be "clothed with strength and dignity" (v.25) one day.
I also hope that one day my beautiful children will "rise up and call me blessed" (v.28). My husband is already a champ as praising me. 

I hope to leave a legacy as a "woman who fears the Lord" (v.30).

Maybe the key here isn't that Proverbs isn't a standard that is meant for me to reach and be done, but it serves as a character development model to be pursued throughout a life time. 


Thanks, God, for a molding me into a strong, Proverbs 31 wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment