Friday, November 20, 2015

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12


 Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 - "Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up. Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."

These verses are so full of life; I'm almost overwhelmed. If feel like the best way to write about them is to take them at face value and pray something significant comes out.

"Two are better than one." (*insert praise hands emoji*) I love having a partner to count on every day. We've gotten into this great habit where I cook dinner and he's learn how to properly do the dishes so I can relax afterwards. We've also learned that he takes the dog out first thing in the morning and for the last time at night, and I take care of Gandalf during the day. If I have to work later, he starts dinner for us. He checks the mail; I make sure the house gets vacuumed once a month. Both of us, together, contribute to making our house run smoothly. I couldn't do it without him. 

"If either of them falls down, once can help the other up." In attempts to be transparent, Stephen and I have had some difficult times lately. This CPA crap has had us both stressed to the max. We finally had a pretty intense discussion where I looked at him and just said, 'Let me help you. That's why I'm here!' Since then, we have been working on helping each other. He called me from work saying he was struggling and we developed a game plan together to help calm him down. We've started asking each other how we can help more often and it seems to be working. This has been a good week for us; it feels like we're finally getting out of this valley. 

"If two lie down together, they will keep warm." Yep. I've learned to sleep with one leg outside of the covers. Maybe its just our bedroom, maybe my husband is a human heater. Either way, we keep warm. 

"Two can defend themselves." My favorite part about having a life partner is having someone who can take the reins when I can't handle them. He is really great at talking rationally to others. However, when that doesn't work, I'm really good at making people understand that The Henry's mean business! We are like a tag team wrestling duo. We defend ourselves against work trials, family struggles, and ridiculous apartment managers who don't give us our packages in a timely manner. I have no doubt I've picked someone that will forever stand in my corner and defend my honor no matter the situation. I hope he knows I will always fight for him and for our marriage. We're unstoppable. 

"A cord of three strands is not easily broken." My engagement ring has a beautiful twisted band. To me, it symbolizes Stephen and I coming together and becoming a team. My wedding band is pretty fantastic as well. It's a simple band, but it says so much more. While my engagement ring can totally hold it's own, it's not enough. In order to be complete, it needs the wedding band.
Stephen and I are enough for each other. We love each other and are willing to stick by each other through thick and thin. We're (ok, mostly Stephen is) pretty rational about seasons of plenty and seasons of want and we've done the best we can to prepare for whatever. But, that's not really enough. We wouldn't be able to handle much without God's guidance and grace. We are not complete without him, our wedding band. He is our rock, our foundation, our lighthouse. All of the confidence in the above paragraphs come from having God as our backbone. He helps us stay focused on each other. He will carry us through the ups and downs and everything in between to the day we celebrate our 60th 70th wedding anniversary surrounded by a plethora of family. It's gonna be a great ride! 

Thanks, God, for sticking with us and making our marriage stronger than ever for years to come.  



No comments:

Post a Comment