Sunday, November 8, 2015

Proverbs 27:19

Proverbs 27:19 - "As water reflects the face, so one's life reflects the heart." 

As I read back over this verse, I flashback to a scene in Zoolander. If I remember correctly, Zoolander just lost a runway contest to Hansel (he's so hot right now!) and he's looking into a puddle of water on the street. He sees himself and asks "Who am I?" 
I feel like I ask myself that question quite a bit. This verse reframed it quite beautifully for me. Because honestly, I can rattle off a pretty extensive list about who I am. I am a wife, a daughter, a student, a hard worker, an awesome aunt, (almost) a graduate, caring, a good listener, dramatic, a story teller, a Texan, a Cinderella fanatic, a coffee drinker... etc etc.

But this verse goes deeper than that. It causes me to answer these questions: What does my heart's reflection look like? What am I doing with my daily life to accurately portray the condition of my heart? Unlike the above list, this one is a little harder to create. 

I'd like to think I'm reflecting the love of Christ through my work. I'd hope my clients can see that I truly care about their well being and I am proud of the work some of them are doing. I'd hope they can see compassion and grace and encouragement through our time together. 

Most days, I'd say I reflect that I am a giving person. I may not have monetary things to give, but I do my best to give time to those in need. I love being able to have dinner with a friend to catch up or vent about life. I love cooking dinner for my husband (sometimes) and binge watching Netflix with him (we've started The Walking Dead!!) without our cell phones around. 

Sometimes, I reflect a selfish and impatient person. I reflect an anxiety ridden, emotional wreck. I'm human and I have bad days. It's hard to keep my flesh in check. I can get frustrated easily and I can forget to mimic Jesus through my words and actions. (His mercies are new every morning. Thankfully!) 

Proverbs 27:19 reminds me that as often as I check my reflection in a day, I need to learn how to check my heart's reflection. Through practice, I think it can be as effortless and satisfying as walking by a full length mirror on a good hair day. 

Thanks, God, for teaching me how to check my heart and become more like You.

No comments:

Post a Comment