Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Ecclesiastes 3:22

Ecclesiastes 3:22 - "So I saw that there is nothing better for a person than to enjoy their work, because that is their lot." 

So many people get caught doing a job they don't enjoy because it pays the bills. There is nothing wrong with that; providing for your family is a huge responsibility that I admire. But me, I was not built to do a job that simply provides income.

Honestly, my best friend has inspired me to pursue my dreams. She got her degree in painting from Texas State and has fervently pursued a career as an artist. She has developed her skills over time and I am blown away at how talented she is. She is not deterred by the difficulty of becoming an artist. She is not swayed by the masses that say she should seek out a  more 'practical' job. She is simply doing what she loves and is doing it well. 

I have always wanted to help people. My first couple jobs were in public service - retail and waiting tables. Both were great learning experiences; I learned that's not what I meant when I said I wanted to help people. I wanted to be an instrument of God, healing wounded hearts. Counseling seems unnecessary and like a waste of money to some people. To others, it's a life changing decision, a step towards a healthier and happier life. I don't care what people say, especially those who 'don't believe in counseling.' I know this is my passion and I plan to continue to pursue it with the same intensity my best friend has shown me with her painting.

And that's why I love what I do. For the times when a client looks at me and tells me that I have helped them. For the times when a client finally realizes they are more than their past, their failures, or what others have said they are. For the times when a client brings me a gift they've made specifically for me to say thank you. For the laughter and the tears, the new beginnings, and even the times when one of them calls me out for my roots showing again. I truly love my job! 

I may not always see the fruits of my labor, which can be difficult at times. Reading this verse for the first time helps ease the pain from the hard days. There is nothing more that I can do other than enjoy my work. I think as long as I do that, I will hear those coveted words from God at the end of my journey - "Well done, good and faithful servant." 

Thanks, God, for leading me towards a career I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment