Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8


Ecclesiastes 3:1 - "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens." 

New seasons make me nervous, which is probably half the reason I'm so thankful to live in Texas where I can bask in my favorite season for the majority of the year. 

  
This chapter is encouraging, especially coming up on a new season of life. In three weeks, I'll graduate. I will no longer define myself as a student, but more as a professional adult. Some days, I'm ready. Today, I'm not. 

I'm comfortable being a student. As a student, I can tell people "I'm still learning" when I make a mistake. I can claim to be overwhelmed by homework in attempts to put off other important tasks, even when I'm just being lazy. I can be that girl that does it all by going to school and having a job while still finding time to cook dinner and do laundry. Verse 3 tells me there's "a time to tear down and a time to build." It's time to tear down that safety net of being a student and begin building up my confidence and identity as an adult. Someone who works just as hard as that student did, but is willing to take more responsibility for mistakes and laziness. Someone willing to be more intentional with relationship building. 

Verse 4 continues on to say there is "a time to weep and a time to laugh." I think I'm in my time to weep. I'm a little more emotional than expected to be graduating soon. I'm scared of being an adult. I'm scared of being so close to everything I've worked towards and someone saying I'm not good enough. I'm sure this season will last longer than I would like it to, but I am excited in knowing my next season will bring laughter. I can look back and chuckle at the scared little counselor I used to be as I confidently tackle more difficult clients. I can laugh at that time I was worried about money as I look around and realize God has always taken care of me despite what my bank account says. 

I keep reading over all the other seasons trying to place myself in one or the other. I don't think that's the point of this chapter. I think God wants me to know it's ok to be hesitant about entering into a new season, but to not avoid moving forward in life. He has always been faithful in walking me through the tough patches of life and my graduation will be no different. This chapter serves as both a warning and a celebration. Life ebbs and flows, and only by the grace of God will I be able to conquer whatever season I am in. 

Thanks, God, for new seasons - even if they are scary.

 

1 comment:

  1. You have the right idea, just keep trusting Him.
    I love your poster of the tree. Is that your design? I would like to use it to make a quilt. Do I need your permission to use it?

    ReplyDelete